Brown Memorial Park Avenue Presbyterian is a Gothic style church built of Baltimore County limestone for $150,000 in 1869-1870. In 1905, transepts were added. From 1905-1910, Tiffany stained glass windows were installed. In 1930, Ralph Adams Cram, the celebrated architect from Boston, redesigned the altar and built the current chancel where the Skinner Company installed the Opus 839, IV/45 pipe organ in 1931. A labyrinth walk and columbarium were added in 2003.
From 2001-2003, Brown Memorial and its windows underwent a $1.8 million restoration through a generous gift from the estate of Mrs. E. Cowles Andrus and matching gifts from 300 congregation members.
Stained glass has been linked with Christian theology since the medieval period. Light was believed to be the source of divine providence and through ecclesiastical stained glass, earthly light transformed to divine light.
At Brown Memorial, our sanctuary is blessed to have 17 stained glass windows. At least 11 are products of the Tiffany Studios. Most were installed between 1905 and 1910. Today, they make up one of the world’s largest and finest collections of Tiffany art still in their original setting.
These windows exemplify the highest quality of workmanship and illustrate the novel techniques the Tiffany Studios used to create limitless ranges of hues, colors and textures. Together, with other American art glass windows in Brown, they fill the sanctuary with radiant, transcendent light.
Read more about the history and restoration of our Tiffany Windows: Baltimore Magazine Article_Apr2003